What is Pathfinders?
Pathfinders is a unique 8-week program designed for high school students enrolled in a software engineering or computer science class. Through 18 hours of career-readiness training and 6 weeks of on-the-job experience, students learn about workplace fundamentals and have opportunities to explore pathways in technology careers.
The Fall 2016 schedule is as follows:
- October 29, 9:30am-3:30pm: Career readiness training #1
- November 5, 9:30am-3:30pm: Career readiness training #2
- November 7 – December 16: Students report to their mentorship sites
- December 3, 10am-12pm: Office hours check-in
- January 14, 9:30am-3:30pm: Career readiness training #3
Who is Pathfinders for?
Currently, Pathfinders is open to 9th, 10th, and 11th grade SEP and BJC students.
What Kinds of Work Does a Pathfinders Student Do?
The end goal of Pathfinders is an authentic exposure to the workplace. Students are not guaranteed a coding mentorship. We do try our best to find software engineering-related placements, although most host organizations are interested in having help with things like research, marketing, tech support, and data entry.
- Attend all 3 career readiness trainings
- Attend the office hours check-in
- Commit to working 4-6 hours a week for 6 weeks
- Timely completion of writing assignments
- Be courteous, respectful, & professional
How to Apply